This shirt was made using BurdaStyle pattern Linen Overshirt #104 from the 06/2011 issue. I used olive green linen and ivory coloured buttons with little flowers on them. I tried some fancy seam finishes that really turned out to be too bulky for the shirt but were fun to practice. I did hong kong seams on the longest seams using bias binding made with the same linen fabric, a french seam for the center back and then I resorted back to my beloved serger to attach the arms – so much easier and a nicer finish! I think the hong kong seams would have turned out much better if I used a thinner fabric. The linen was far too bulky to do the job but I’ve left it in because it was a lot of work and the casual cut of the shirt hides the bulk pretty well.
I love the dropped shoulder detail – it consists of one pleat and the rest being gathered – a detail I much prefer to the row of pleats I have seen on many similar RTW shirts. The three quarter length sleeves with a band at the bottom are great because it is the perfect amount of coverage for a chillier summer day. The only thing that I don’t like about this shirt is that the sleeve bands are quite constricting when pushed up above the elbows as shown in the Burda Style fashion image – I love this look but wearing the shirt this way slowly cuts off the circulation at my elbow throughout the day!